Forum Search...

Login Forums Learning Lab | WOOP Post your WOOP – Week of April 17th

Tagged: ,

• Post your WOOP – Week of April 17th

Posted by Noa Kageyama on April 17, 2023 at 12:01 am

How’d your WOOP go last week? If you had any wins, please share! And if things didn’t go according to plan, please share that as well!

If you plan to set a new or revised intention for the week, post your Wish, Outcome, Obstacle, and Plan below!

Pro Tip: If you’d like to review your past WOOPs really quickly, click on your profile menu in the top right corner of the page, select Forums, then click on the My Replies button right below your profile header. That’ll show you all of your WOOP posts (as well as your posts in other discussion threads).

Noa Kageyama replied 1 year ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Tricia Snell-Flute

April 17, 2023 at 9:53 am

I’ve been focused on meeting hard writing/teaching deadlines and specific necessary tasks the last few weeks, working from a prioritized to-do list, so didn’t do woops. I got a ton done–feeling good about that, if a bit tired. Now I can look up a bit… think about my trio and my practice more creatively… good time to do a weekly woop…

Wish – to incorporate guitar/singing into my daily practice for trio.

Outcome – by end of week, 1) words and Bev’s harmonies for Winter’s Come and Gone memorized, 2) words memorized and create harmony parts for Wild Mountain Thyme and Do You Love an Apple, 3) be competent w/ reading simple guitar and singing on Twa Corbies, Carolina, One More Dollar, and Wayfaring Stranger, but wait on memorizing these til other three are solid.

Obstacle – tiredness / spending so much time writing at computer, without getting enough exercise/stretching

Plan -be consistent with one hour of exercise after morning dog walk; get to bed by 11:30am; schedule rehearsal with Bev just focused on songs; isolate minimum of one hour a day to focus on songs, preferably during daylight, but if not accomplished before dinner, muster the discipline to do it in the evening. SAY NO TO THINGS THAT UNNECESSARILY GOBBLE UP TIME.

• Noa Kageyama

Administrator
      April 17, 2023 at 5:50 pm

@tricia-snell I imagine you’ve already tried this, but while a pomodoro timer app seems really simple, it can change how your work periods feel, and increase the likelihood of your taking breaks instead of getting stuck in front of the computer for long periods of time.

• Tricia Snell-Flute

April 17, 2023 at 5:53 pm

Actually no I have never tried that… I’ll go check it out, thx!

• Noa Kageyama

Administrator
          April 17, 2023 at 5:55 pm

I use a free app called Focus Keeper, for what it’s worth. There are lots of other free ones though, I think. And some for the computer too.

• Kristen Gale (trumpet)

April 17, 2023 at 10:58 pm

Hello! I’m excited about my first WOOP. It is as basic as they come but hopefully not too generic to be useful.

Wish: I would like to reestablish my habit of practicing six days a week and to establish a routine within my new work schedule. I would like my routine to include Alexander Technique, warm-up, fundamentals, and at least one piece of music.

Outcome: I will feel like I have a better work-life balance and that I am investing in myself. I will be less stressed by developing a realistic routine that I can maintain.

Obstacle: I could let work tasks that arise take priority over practice time, even if I have flexibility over when to complete them.

Plan: If a task arises over which I have scheduling flexibility, then I will schedule a time to complete it and continue practicing.

• Noa Kageyama

Administrator
      April 23, 2023 at 10:43 pm

@kristen-gale Will be curious to hear how your first WOOP went! Have you ever done a not-to-do list, by the way? Sometimes it can be helpful to identify the things that are tempting to spend time on, but we really should NOT be spending our time on.

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.