Forum Search...

Login Forums Learning Lab | WOOP Post your WOOP – August 2023

• Post your WOOP – August 2023

Posted by Noa Kageyama on August 4, 2023 at 10:08 am

What projects or goals are you working towards this month? Or maybe the goal is to taper down a bit, so you’ll have more energy when Fall arrives and students return or school starts back up?

If you find yourself needing a bit of motivation this month, try setting a WOOP, whether big or small and seeing if a little public accountability might help nudge you along in the coming weeks. 😁

Jessica Holyfield (Dance) replied 8 months, 2 weeks ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Angela Smith Scoles (harp)

August 7, 2023 at 6:08 am

Wish: play and sing Bach-Gounod Ave Maria clearly and cleanly

Feel more accomplished and capable

Obstacle: family distractions

Plan: practice this piece right after the first five minutes of warmup, and always practice this by seven in the morning

• Noa Kageyama

Administrator
      August 7, 2023 at 11:24 am

@Angelaskates Sounds good! I might suggest making a BEFORE recording asap, so you’ll have something tangible that you can compare things with at the end of the month. 😁

• Angela Smith Scoles (harp)

August 7, 2023 at 6:35 pm

DONE! Excellent idea. Thanks!

• Noa Kageyama

Administrator
      August 8, 2023 at 6:27 pm

Yay! And you don’t have to worry about this until the end of the month, but when comparing the BEFORE and AFTER, it might help to set up a system to help you listen more objectively and make sure you hear the improvements you’ve made. Something as simple as listening once for note accuracy, once for rhythm, once for expressiveness, etc. I’ve come across several musicians who have their students listen this way, to make sure they don’t miss things (both positive changes as well as things in need of more work) in their listening “blind spots.”

• Patricia Holten (piano, accordion, vocal)

August 10, 2023 at 11:46 am

Wish: Play first part of Oscar Peterson’s Slow Blues.

Outcome: feel more confident as a musician to be able to play a good blues

Obstacles: discussions about politics

Plan: no politics until work 30 minutes on Slow Blues

• Noa Kageyama

Administrator
      August 10, 2023 at 12:16 pm

Sounds good, Patricia! And because a month can sometimes be a long time, if you find yourself losing steam through the month, try experimenting with some small but specific practice goals, where you might be able to measure progress more easily, and give you that little motivational boost to keep going. Like doing a weekly before/after set of recordings, and seeing if your rhythm has improved in some specific way, or something along those lines.

• Jessica Holyfield (Dance)

August 16, 2023 at 5:13 pm

Excited to take on my first WOOP!

Wish: To finish up bookkeeping what my students have been learning in all of my different classes.

Outcome: I will feel more prepared for the upcoming week of teachings and more confident behind what to work on with my students!

Obstacles: Remote work that is time sensitive throughout the week.

Plan: If I have time sensitive work throughout the week, then I will create mini goals each day to accomplish that work so I can focus on the tasks that make me happy!

• Noa Kageyama

Administrator
      August 16, 2023 at 6:58 pm

@Jess Sounds good! Regarding your plan, if you find yourself running into speed bumps, you might also try committing to doing whatever the mini goal is first. Kind of like making kids eat their broccoli (or whatever veggie they’re trying to avoid) first, before the yummy things they like.

• Jessica Holyfield (Dance)

August 17, 2023 at 2:12 am

That’s a great way of looking at it! I’ll go ahead and give that a shot to see if it helps with my overall goal! Thank you!

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.