Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum Playing along with recordings Reply To: Playing along with recordings

• Stephan Ware (piano)

January 24, 2023 at 2:56 pm

I’ve used headphones to hear things better and control the playback volume vs. my playing and that makes sense to use headphones to allow recording just myself, though that seems a better fit when going down the “learn from the recording” path. The lower hanging fruit of the technique seems to me mainly a simple way to infuse variety and energy into a long practice session, highlight rhythm issues and maybe pick up some variable practice ideas.

On the “alternative learning technique” side there seem to be all sorts of options. I wonder how much there’s a possibility to help train myself to hear more/better — in real time even… perhaps — by having something like a yardstick I am comparing myself to, by playing at the same time with carefully set volumes. I’ve heard there’s a tradition of teachers playing along with students in lessons with the intent for the student to learn through imitation. Perhaps even better is do they-play-then-I-play imitations of short segments. No doubt if I record my listen-then-imitate examples I’ll find all sorts of “The pro just played Y, and you played X, and you did it again exactly the same way the 2nd time too. Quit playing X!!!”

I’m also still waiting to do a complete start on a new work to try out the imitation-of-a-recording technique to see if it seems to help me to listen for more a “professional” kind of phrasing/sound/etc. and possibly reduce the list of adjustments my teacher ends up suggesting.

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.