Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum dealing with corrupted auditions Reply To: dealing with corrupted auditions

• liesbeth lambrecht

November 15, 2022 at 3:49 am

dear Noa,

thank you for taking the time to reply!

it is very confusing as I did prepare with the alto solo of the orchestra with whom I get along very well musically and personally. But one of her remarks was indeed to get a lesson with the principal violist, as she said they are total opposites in many ways. It seems like especially in this orchestra the musicians don’t have one way to look at things (many people (almost half of the orchestra) seemed to be very convinced about my audition and did vote for me). As you say, it would be interesting to play for every single member of the orchestra. Unfortunately I don’t have the time nor the energy to do that… ???? And it does feel a bit alienating and rather impossible to try to make my playing exactly the average of the jury’s taste…

In the end there is still the matter of personal taste, and of luck. But I will try my best to make my playing more pleasant for people who have ‘another’ taste then mine… ????

It is hard to accept that despite all the effort we do, it still remains a matter of luck and taste also… Crazy system. I feel like I am getting over the disappointment of the last audition, but I must admit it is tough to play there as a freelancer now, especially as despite all the effort I did, I seem to have fallen a few steps in the ‘pickorder of the freelancers’…

Up to the next though…! The preround is sending in a tape with plenty of excerpts. Any thoughts on this specific way of (pre)auditioning?? It takes many challenges but in a whole different way then ‘normal’ auditioning…!

thank you so much!!

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.