Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum dealing with corrupted auditions Reply To: dealing with corrupted auditions

• Noa Kageyama

Administrator
    October 14, 2022 at 9:26 am

Hi Liesbeth,

Ack, yeah, results like this can be frustrating and discouraging. Athletes often deal with this sort of thing too, for what it’s worth. Even in sports where the criteria are clear, it’s often the case that a team can play pretty great and still lose (also possible to play less than one’s best and still win too, of course), which can be pretty demoralizing.

One of the things that can help – though it’s much easier said than done – is to focus relentlessly on growth and the things you control, because we can drive ourselves pretty crazy thinking about things we really don’t control (whether the committee as a whole likes our sound, or agrees with how we played it, or whether they’re even listening or paying attention when we’re playing, or if they already have someone in mind, or if they had an argument with a colleague before and are being obtuse, etc., etc.). There’s a video on this that I like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIbL3N8OU-E

The other thing I’m wondering is, do you record your auditions? I know it’s frowned upon if not explicitly forbidden, but there’s a reason for recording regardless, related to the above. We can chat about it more if you’re not already recording.

The other thing I’m wondering is how you decide how to play each excerpt – like, how do you decide on an interpretation? Is there listening involved? And if so, how or how much? This could be another thing to tweak in your preparation as well, which we can talk about more here.

One last thing that I think might help is a perspective from the actor Bryan Cranston. I think these videos on auditioning in the acting world are as relevant in the music world, and hope you find them helpful with mindset in the next week:

Have a good week!

Noa

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.