Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum Sensitivity to feedback Reply To: Sensitivity to feedback

• Amy Likar

July 24, 2022 at 10:43 am

Hi Grace,

When my kids were little I read a book called “Raising Children who Think for Themselves” by Elisa Medhaus. I haven’t read it lately to know if it’s dated or not, but what I remember is it began dialogues for me with my children that I carried over into my teaching. I also remember learning a lot. I use a lot of video/audio recording in my teaching to guide the feedback so that it’s actually coming from me and the student.

We all need feedback and it’s all about translating it and how the student translates it and how to frame the feedback for growth. I recently did a lesson with a student who had in quick succession taken lessons with three different teachers who all said three different things. So we wrote them down, and translated the possibilities and integrated what the students actually wants and needs. We then started trying things out to see what worked in that particular moment in time. My hope is that then the student feels empowered. It’s often difficult to teach them to listen and watch themselves on video, and it’s the fastest way I’ve found to understand the relationship of time and space and playing with more expression.

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.