Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum Questions about at tempo chaining Reply To: Questions about at tempo chaining

• Luca Dovalina

July 12, 2022 at 12:45 pm

Hi Noa,

I’ll work on building up my deliberate practice endurance, as it stands now I can only do it reliably for about 3 minutes.

Regarding the error exaggeration, the main benefit (from what I understood in the articles) is that it really highlights why the error is happening? So that when you find a solution, you in a way separate the two- which then makes it easier to replace the wrong version with the correct one (repeating the correct one more times than the wrong one). So to do this, you’d need to find the principal cause of the problem and a solution that counters the cause (basically the same as what you outlined for deliberate practice).

Since the main problem I have is identifying the problem and it’s cause, I think that I should tackle it like a brass player- in that since most of the times you can’t find the error in seeing yourself (video), it comes down to adjusting until you find the solution. For now, I guess a reliable way would be to just write each adjustment I try and narrow down the possibilities that way, until eventually one of them works. What are your thoughts on this?

Best,

Luca

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.