Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum Questions about at tempo chaining Reply To: Questions about at tempo chaining

• Noa Kageyama

Administrator
    May 30, 2022 at 12:06 pm

It’s sounding good – smoother and more effortless in the beginning few notes. And I wonder if why it sometimes sounds better when you add an extra note is that a more meaningful chunk of the phrase is there and so it’s easier to think in terms of the direction of the phrase?

Also, one other thought. I wonder if it would help to mentally think the next note after the last note you play? Because if you listen to how you play the last C that you add on at the end, do you hear how you’re elongating it, because it’s the last note in the chain? Instead of playing it as you would if it were being played in the context of the phrase, each last note is being practiced differently than you actually want to play it, right? It’s occurring to me as I write this that that might be one of the benefits of reverse chaining as well – in that you always play the last note the way it is going to be in the final version.

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.