Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum Questions about at tempo chaining Reply To: Questions about at tempo chaining

• Noa Kageyama

Administrator
    May 30, 2022 at 11:58 am

Just my opinion, but I wonder if you’re using too fine a filter for these first few notes? In terms of rhythm, it’s certainly important to have stability, but all in the context of where the phrase is going, with inflection as well. And I wonder if at the moment, in just those first few notes, it might sound/feel uneven because it’s still being played a little out of context? Like once you put it into the full phrase, the direction of the phrase will be clearer, and the little micro-deviations from a theoretical ideal rhythm won’t be noticeable? This also speaks a bit to the idea of variable practice, and how it’s important to be able to play things in various ways around the ideal (faster, slower, with the inflection on this note or that note, or lingering more here or there, etc.)

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.