Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum Questions about at tempo chaining Reply To: Questions about at tempo chaining

• Luca Dovalina

May 25, 2022 at 8:15 pm

Really thank you for the feedback, it wasn’t letting me post this video at first, but I was able to after logging out and back into my account. The deliberate practice video was too big (158mb) to post here so that’s why I sent it to your email, if you haven’t gotten it what other way can I share it?

1. Yea I wasn’t really thinking about overlearning reps at all, I just played it until it felt reasonably good and moved on. Would you recommend I keep track of each rep? What’s a good way to keep track of each rep? I’ll test to see what number of overlearning reps feels good but what should I have in mind before each overlearning rep? Should I think of the feel, sound of the correct rep or both?

2. I had done backwards chaining on this part around a week ago and just left it. I usually do make sure to do it both ways. In this particular case though the first couple of notes I chain are good, but when I finish chaining that beat, it sounds about the same as after forward chaining.

3. You’re right I wasn’t thinking about the phrase really, more the notes and fingers. In the deliberate practice video I did try leaning/ emphasizing one note of the chain so it can speak better, but yes I think I should think about the phrase more when chaining.

4. I recorded the deliberate practice video right after this one and I tried solving some of the issues of this passage that I heard in the chaining. I think a problem that I have is my idea of “perfect” when it’s one of the first times chaining, because from what I infer in Rob Knopper’s video is that it should be concert ready perfect after chaining (of course he’s a professional and at his level he can do that). So how should I define perfect/ know when I’ve reached the limit of how “concert ready” a relatively new passage can sound now, but without learning mistakes/ creating bad habits that I’ll have to fix later?

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.