Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum Questions about at tempo chaining Reply To: Questions about at tempo chaining

• Noa Kageyama

Administrator
    May 25, 2022 at 4:30 pm

Thanks for posting, Luca! I take it that eventually the video did go through? I’ll have to look into this some more and see if there’s something going on with the video posting settings if this wasn’t the video you were having trouble with…

In the meantime, a couple observations:

1. I know I said to be wary of doing too many repetitions in a previous comment, but at least from this video, it seems like there were a couple times when you moved on to add a new note pretty quickly, without having established a comfort level with the previously added note. If say, you find it takes about 5 reps after adding a new note to the existing group to get to an accurate level of performance, do you have a set number of “overlearning” reps in mind to lock it in? Like another 3-5-7 or so reps beyond the first successful repetition?

2. Maybe you’ve already mentioned this, but have you experimented with reverse chaining? Where instead of doing Bflat, Bflat+Bflat, Bflat+Bflat+A, you would start at say the C#, then the Bnatural+C#, then C#+Bnatural+C#, etc. It can be a little more challenging for wind players, because you have to think about where in your breath you’ll be, but I wonder if reverse chaining might actually be more helpful in this passage than forward chaining.

3. Take this with a grain of salt, because I know nothing about the bassoon, but it sounds a bit to me like you might be more focused on note precision and evenness than phrasing in your chaining. Is that possible? I wonder if it would help to think about phrase direction and which notes you mean to emphasize – like are you thinking about emphasizing the Bflat, E, and C# and driving to each of those notes, like 123, 223, 323. Or are you thinking more about bringing out the 2nd note in each group, like Bflat, G, E – like 123, 223, 323? Or both? Or are you thinking about clipping the 8th notes a little and making it a little like a string player retaking the bow between 1 and 2 vs. how you’d play it if the slurs went across each group of 3 instead of crossing over into the next group of 3? Playing around with how you think of the direction of the phrase and note groupings may also help to organize the fluidity/coordination of your physical movements.

4. Keep in mind too that there’s always going to be a gap between what you can do technically at the present, and the ideal that you hear in your mind. What you hear in your head and aspire to is always going to be a few steps ahead of what you can currently do, so as helpful as chaining can be, it’s also not going to get you all the way to “perfect.” If you can get to a pretty fluid and “pretty good” version of playing through chaining, there are going to be some sticking points that you may need to work out in your deliberate practice phase. And some things that may just need some additional time and seasoning to be able to execute at the level you want as well. In the same way that you can undoubtedly do some things now that you couldn’t 6 months or a year or two ago, that may have frustrated you or perhaps didn’t even cross your radar back then.

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.