Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum Questions about at tempo chaining Reply To: Questions about at tempo chaining

• Noa Kageyama

Administrator
    May 24, 2022 at 4:00 pm

Hi Luca,

Regarding your bolded question, it sounds like you may be doing too many repetitions in a row. There is certainly a place for repetition to internalize a particular solution to a problem, but that only goes so far. It may actually be better, once you’ve written down the solution so you know/can remember what it is, to switch to something else, and a little while later, come back to the problem passage so you can test out your solution again and see if it works. The goal being to practice retrieving or remembering the solution to that problem, rather than doing the solution over and over, where your brain doesn’t have to work very hard to remember the solution because you just did it already and there’s not much to remember.

And yes, I can’t promise that I’ll be able to figure out what’s going on, but if you’d be willing to share a video of yourself chaining or doing some deliberate practice, I’d be happy to take a look and see if I notice anything. With the deliberate practice video, could you try talking out loud as you practice? Where you describe what you’re hearing/noticing, what you’re thinking, and what you’re trying? That way I’ll be able to follow your thought process. With chaining, no need to say anything.

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.