Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum When being on stage makes one hurry Reply To: When being on stage makes one hurry

• Noa Kageyama

Administrator
    May 24, 2022 at 3:53 pm

Hi Augustas,

It takes quite a bit of energy to be able to really bring performance-like focus and attention to your playing, so if you’ve been practicing a lot, it could very well be that you don’t quite have the resources to focus 100% in your run-throughs/mocks. Are you getting enough sleep every night? Like, 8, 9, or even 10+ hours?

Generally, athletes (and increasingly, musicians) will tend to do some “tapering” in the weeks leading up to a big competition, where the volume of training decreases, but the intensity increases. Which would mean doing less drilling and repetition and woodshedding, and doing more run-through-type playing and more mental rehearsal so you don’t wear yourself out physically. I had a student for instance, who did 3 run-throughs 3 days out from the audition, 2 run-throughs 2 days out, and 1 runthrough the day before, and that was it. I know some folks who won’t play at all in the 24 hours before the audition as well. There are a number of individual differences so I don’t think there’s a one-size-fits-all equation for how to handle the week before an audition, but you just want to make sure you’re protecting your energy and not overplaying, where the playing that you do do is more along the lines of the kind of playing that you’ll be doing on stage, i.e. more retrieval practice.

Hope this gives you some ideas!

Noa

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.