Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum Questions about at tempo chaining Reply To: Questions about at tempo chaining

• Luca Dovalina

May 17, 2022 at 6:39 pm

Thank you for the quick reply,

So basically we should be chaining in a more meticulous manner so that each chain sounds like the ideal perfect passage before adding the next note? How could we do this without obsessing so much over each note to the point where we end up spending 30 minutes on 5 notes?

Another problem I faced when trying this was that I can play notes 1-2 and 2-3 good, but not 1-2-3. For example when I play the 3 notes together there’s a crack between notes 2-3. How can I go about working on this?

When I did deliberate practice for an interval issue, I can figure out the cause but then coming up with a consistent solution is where it falls apart. For example I figured out that from D to A my thumb and ring finger are too slow compared to the other fingers which causes the keys to close at different times; in other words mistiming between fingers. Other than saying “anticipate the thumb and ring” or “focus on the thumb and ring” no other possible solutions come to mind and, because of habit, I default back to playing it over and over until it hopefully fixes itself (and it usually doesn’t). How can I substitute these internal focus solutions for external focus ones (if that’s what would help)?

Thank you again,

Luca

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.