Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum Practise room mindset Reply To: Practise room mindset

• Noa Kageyama

Administrator
    April 22, 2022 at 9:46 am

Hi Alfred,

It sounds like you’re trying to be really diligent about making the most of your practice time and improving in the most effective way possible. But sometimes, it’s important to have fun in the practice room too, and I wonder if this part is missing a bit? For instance, Frank Almond, former concertmaster of the Milwaukee Symphony, once said that sometimes he’d just play some Bach in the practice room, with no particular agenda, just because he likes Bach. I wonder if something like this could be helpful?

Also, in terms of cultivating a growth mindset, I wonder if there’s a tendency for your practice to focus more on results than on growth? For instance, has it felt different to listen back to your recordings, and writing down problems, like a wish-list, and then identifying solutions to these problems, instead of focusing on whether it sounds good or bad? As in, to find gratification and satisfaction from seeing the list of solutions grow longer from day to day, and in the process of solution-seeking itself, more than in the end result?

If you haven’t already, I think you’ll find some relevant ideas in building confidence, and the becoming fearless sections as well, in terms of focusing on growth, and having a little more fun in your practice.

Also, the upcoming podcast episodes with flutist Keith Underwood (to be released the next two Sundays), might also speak to your question. He talks a lot about mimicking or emulating other musicians we admire, and it sounds like a really engaging and curiosity-based way to approach practice too.

Hope this helps!

Noa

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.