Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum Sensitivity to feedback Reply To: Sensitivity to feedback

• Noa Kageyama

Administrator
    November 8, 2021 at 7:11 pm

That’s a great question, Grace. I had a conversation recently about this exact thing with Molly Gebrian, the UArizona viola prof who I think I probably reference a time or two in the course, and who has some great videos on YouTube that I think you’d enjoy if you haven’t already seen them. And I don’t know that we came to a real one-size-fits-all sort of consensus, as there can be some tricky individual differences between students to overcome.

Did the rubber duckie debugging help at all? I’d be curious to know if creating that extra bit of distance between the self and the strategy/technical adjustment helped at all with changing their emotional experience of practicing.

I’m guessing that you’re already familiar with Carol Dweck’s work on growth vs. fixed mindsets, but if not, that part of the course might be helpful (Mental Resilience – 2.0 – Your Mindset). It’s admittedly a bit more abstract, and a more direct application might be helping your students experiment with cultivating a more coach-like (vs. critic-like) inner voice in the Building Confidence – 1.2 – Coach & Critic lesson. The Becoming Fearless part of the course might also be a fun thing for students to try – especially the Becoming Fearless – 2.0 – Building Courage section. Especially the practice challenges #20 and #21.

Let me know if any of those sections seem to help with approaching challenges with more curiosity and play, and help to reduce some of the shame/etc. that can sometimes arise.

Noa

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.