Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum Sight Reading Reply To: Sight Reading

• Noa Kageyama

Administrator
    September 23, 2021 at 9:38 am

Hi Caleb,

I think centering for sight reading is going to be more about clearing the mind than anything else, so that you can prepare yourself to be open and focused on just that narrow window of music/time that you want to be attentive to, as well as feeling loose and at ease physically so your shoulders don’t hunch upwards to your ears, and you’re not creating tension that could get in the way of you playing technically demanding rep.

I think hearing the rhythm of the first phrase (or even the fastest part of the excerpt) makes sense to me – but I have to confess that I haven’t looked into the literature on sight reading a whole lot, and suspect there are other folks who might have a much more systematic approach to both practicing and “performing” sight-reading…I wonder if there are other strategies or techniques that collaborative pianists and ear training teachers use that you might be able to find out about?

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.