Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum Speeding things up Reply To: Speeding things up

• Noa Kageyama

Administrator
    March 6, 2020 at 7:07 am

Hi Luis,

Yes, there’s something to be said for super slow practice – but only if you’re using motor skills that are viable at tempo. So that’s where at-tempo practice can be useful (Nathan’s note-grouping technique is a subset of this, and I think could work across instruments, and not just with scales, as it’s about practicing short bursts of notes at-tempo, regardless of what the notes are – but don’t worry about that for now).

I found a video recently that I think might help explain the at-tempo practice specifically for guitar; let me know if this helps to give you some ideas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPVpw2seK9E

Noa

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.