Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum Audition planning Reply To: Audition planning

• Noa Kageyama

Administrator
    January 29, 2019 at 8:15 pm

Hi Michel,

Hmm…that’s a toughie. I’m assuming you’ve already tried to find out what past lists have looked like in previous auditions for this opening (or instrument), and perhaps could make an educated guess about what you’re likely to see.

Beyond that, I’m reminded of clarinetist Ricardo Morales, who has said that he spends a good bit of time working on fundamentals and basics (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg6qKCQvHtY), so this might be something that you could spend the next 8 weeks on as well.

As far as a schedule goes, I wonder how you would feel about establishing a weekly prep cycle. Let’s say, for instance, that you decide to spend the next 8 weeks working on a list that you think has a good chance of including most of the excerpts you’ll have to play. Since performing the list when not totally comfortable/warmed up is probably what you’ll have to do on audition day, you could start every morning with a recorded run-through, after the same warmup that you’ll use on audition day. During that recorded runthrough, you can practice all of the skills that you’ll need on audition day – like getting centered before each excerpt, practicing your transitions between excerpts (anxiety regulation lesson), staying focused during (the focus lesson), etc.

Then, when listening back to the recording, you can use the list of issues that you come up with to prioritize your practice time for the day. And then, perhaps, you can do a more formal mock audition every week (or perhaps more often), as a bigger test of how your preparation is going.

Might that work as a general template for the next 12 weeks?

In the meantime, this is a great question to ask someone like Rob Knopper (auditionhacker.com) or Nathan Cole (natesviolin.com), both of whom I’m sure would have something to say about this.

Noa

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.