Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum Overthinking when practicing Reply To: Overthinking when practicing

• Mery

October 25, 2018 at 3:40 pm

I’ve experienced this too, mainly after critiquing a recording and then attempting to record again, while trying to keep in mind all the points I used to ‘fix’ the mistakes. I think it’s a matter of changing hats so to speak.

First the solution should involve isolating the specific tricky bits and practicing them enough, at a slow enough pace so you do have time to think, in order to put the fixes into permanent memory without having to ‘think’ about them.

Next I think practicing ‘hat switching’ is in order, to get that ability under your control. So first you think and practice, as above. But then you stop and do some centering (where you -can- imagine all those details ahead of playing) and mind-emptying. Followed by creating music (ie not practicing, just playing with a still mind). Even if you can only do that latter for a couple of seconds at first, you have practiced the ‘hat switching’. Aim to extend the amount of time you can create music without interrupting yourself. If you find yourself thinking when you’re supposed to be in ‘playing mode’ then you would remind yourself which hat you are wearing. Sometimes I’ve just stopped and sat there holding my flute till I stopped thinking. Change back and forth between the hats, always taking time to empty your mind before creating music.

I observe things to stay in the moment when playing. Hearing the sounds, feeling the pulse of the music, feeling the vibrations underneath my fingers, observing unnecessary tension so it releases. When I just can’t clear my mind and take off the ‘coach’ hat, I take a break.

I’m no expert here, I’m still doing the course myself, but this is something I work on and use with my students too. Hope it helps!

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.