Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum What would you suggest focusing on to make a difference in a short time? Reply To: What would you suggest focusing on to make a difference in a short time?

• kathuntalice-it

June 3, 2018 at 1:49 pm

I’ve only just come across this forum and there are some really interesting questions and topics. I have a flute exam in a couple of weeks and am getting quite nervous as I have discovered the enormous gap between practising and ‘performing’ (even if it is for an exam). I have decided to make a video each day of a ‘mock’ exam and then to analyse what is not going well and see if I can be satisfied with my progress. But it seems that as soon as the recording starts I completely forget even the simplest things like scales and arpeggios that I have been practising for months without any real problems. I wonder why recording myself should produce such catastrophic results. I am not frightened by the thought of the exam itself as I look on it as a personal check-up. I am an adult player who discovered the flute rather late in life so have no worries about auditions or being accepted into a music school. It’s for my own pleasure and the exam has the aim of getting me out of the ‘comfort’ zone and into the ‘stretch’ zone so I can improve my playing (and hopefully be confident enough to play in front of other people). However, I wonder if I’m now in the ‘panic’ zone. Have you any suggestions as to why I should get so anxious about doing a recording (for my own purposes)?

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.