Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum Consistency Reply To: Consistency

• Noa Kageyama

Administrator
    April 19, 2018 at 12:54 pm

Hi Phoebe,

I think at this stage of your performance “countdown,” running the piece several times a day is probably one of the more helpful things you can do (presumably, not in a row, but spread out over the day). After all, this is what you’ll have to do on performance day, so you’re practicing exactly what you’ll have to do. It might even help to make sure you practice bowing, etc., while wearing what you’ll be wearing on the day of, so that you get comfortable with some of these other aspects of your performance.

There is a tendency to become increasingly perfectionistic in the leadup to a performance – I wonder if this is part of what you’re noticing? I also wonder if you might be trying too hard to play things perfectly? Rather than focusing on the sound you want, the character you want, the way you want to shape each phrase, etc.? In other words, I wonder if you’re focused too much on the little technical details, and perhaps not enough on the bigger picture, as it sounds like you did in your auditions?

It may help to remind yourself that a) people will not notice nearly as many imperfections as you will (e.g. this), b) that being able to keep moving on and ignoring imperfections is job #1 in performance (e.g. this), even though that’s like the opposite of what you have to do when practicing, and c) the most important thing on stage is to focus on self-expression and creating – not self-monitoring and critiquing (e.g. as you did in your auditions, or like the “micro-improvisation” technique described here).

Best wishes with your performance!

Noa

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.