Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum A Blank Mind Reply To: A Blank Mind

• Pauline

November 20, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Hi Noa

Many thanks for your helpful reply. Although my teacher notices my tension at times, sadly, she is not forthcoming in knowing how to help me. I don’t mean to sound critical of her; but she focuses more on the musical side rather than technique in piano as she doesn’t attach much importance to it up to the intermediate stage. I disagree with this view and I hardly get any technical exercises from her, so I do my own from the workbooks that I have accumulated. I get tight in my shoulders at times, but it is mostly in my wrists and my head! Although I practice wrist rotation exercises separately, I need to find a way of lessening the tension in my head so that I don’t lose focus and/or go blank.

Sorry, I didn’t understand the first two lines of your 3rd paragraph: “Although the more we converse…….attention in the first place”. Can you please explain this. In the meantime, I will go through the Focus module again. What you say about having a clearer mental target to hang on to when I get nervous makes a lot of sense and may lessen my tension. I will work on this and some of the other modules using your helpful advice until I feel able to relax sufficiently and focus without sabotaging myself.

I have signed up for Rob Knopper’s mini course and I am now waiting for the 2nd video which sounds more practical preparation than explanation.

Thanks and I will let you know how I get on.

Pauline

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.