Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum Singing AND playing Reply To: Singing AND playing

• Noa Kageyama

Administrator
    April 1, 2017 at 6:17 pm

Hi Cheryl,

I’m sorry for the delay in responding! Totally missed seeing this…

With regards to learning/memorizing songs and lyrics, my initial thought is that there are a number of ways to get all that into our heads, many of which I’m sure you utilize and have tried. But I think there can sometimes be a tendency to neglect the retrieval piece too. As in, practicing remembering these elements is also a helpful part of cementing them into memory. I remember having to do runthroughs of my Suzuki repertoire every day as a kid, and having a somewhat regular schedule of continuing to have to run everything at least every so many days, even if I wasn’t actively working on it anymore. Do you have a system for testing your memory or “practicing remembering” as one reader put it?

Stage presence-wise, that’s a tricky one! I think some folks are more naturally emotive on stage than others, but this is certainly something you can practice too. Have you ever videotaped yourself doing a run-through in practice? Even if you’re just playing over a recording, or doing your part without the rest of your band or ensemble, it sounds like an important part of your preparation may be to practice every aspect of performing – not just the mental and technical part, but the visual part as well!

Noa

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.