Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum Centering Problems Reply To: Centering Problems

• Noa Kageyama

Administrator
    November 23, 2016 at 11:11 am

Hi Don,

Interesting. I think you may be right about overthinking, so it’s good that you have that in mind and moved on to other modules. I’m guessing from your note that you may play a brass instrument? Is it possible when releasing tension that you might be releasing too much tension? I also wonder if by “think of every detail of the first few measures” it also means that you might be thinking in too much of a note-by-note sort of fashion, rather than in terms of gestures or phrases?

My initial thought is to have you approach centering in a layered, vs. sequential fashion. As in, just take the clear intention for instance, and hear what you’d like the first note or gesture to sound like. Then go for it. And if that seems to help, to then add a breath or two to clear your mind as you get the clear sound in your head. And if that helps, to then add releasing tension into the mix. And so on, to see which elements seem to be most helpful in getting you focused and starting you off consistently, and which may perhaps not be as helpful.

Noa

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.