Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum Centering Help. Reply To: Centering Help.

• Noa Kageyama

Administrator
    November 23, 2016 at 10:42 am

Good questions. Before I say anything, I should say that I don’t want you to get too caught up in the details, in that ultimately, the hope is that this becomes something very organic and natural, and personal to you. Pre-performance routines look different from person to person, and this is just a starting point, with some key principles in place.

The focal point is a tricky one, in that you don’t have to stare at it or look at it per se. It’s really just to help start the process of clearing your mind. I had more of a sensory focal point where I wanted to direct sound, rather than a visual one per se. I might be looking at my fingerboard, for instance, but not actually seeing or monitoring my fingers – simply just gazing in that direction.

And hearing the opening is about really creating a clear target for yourself to go for, so for me personally, I’d run it over in my head a few times, as I was releasing tension, etc., just to really get into the flow of things and really get into the character and hear exactly what I wanted. Almost like taking a practice swing in golf.

Your centering routine sounds good to me – so it passes the “eyeball” test as it were. The most important test is to see how it works for you! It might work great as is, or you might end up tweaking a few things here and there as you get more experience and become more comfortable with it. Let me know how it goes!

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.