Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum Have an important performance very soon, how do I use this course appropriately? Reply To: Have an important performance very soon, how do I use this course appropriately?

• Unknown Member

Deleted User
    November 22, 2016 at 4:12 pm

I’m sure Dr. Kageyama will be by shortly with great advice on how to use the course, but during the interim, let me tell you that I feel your pain. I was there 3 years ago – desperate to perform at my ability or even somewhere in the vicinity of my ability. You are great at practicing performing by yourself, but you are not great at performing to an audience. If you want to be great at performing, you have to practice performing in front of an audience. I have overcome this, and you will too!

You have 3 weeks. Everyday get out and perform in front of people. The tougher the audience (e.g., a judgmental colleague/student/teacher) the better. That’s the quick fix crash course. No matter how hard it is to pull a great player aside and ask, “Can you take a listen to this?” DO IT! If you are a college student, then sign up for any recitals offered within the next 3 weeks. If you step all over yourself and not perform at your best (which will happen), you have not failed! Failing is not asking the person to listen in the first place or signing up for a recital. Whatever happens with each performance you will learn something, even if it feels like you didn’t, and most importantly, you will survive. Also use the reflective techniques in the confidence section of the program to speed up the learning process from each performance.

Good Luck!
    -DC

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.