Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum How should I schedule the reading and exercises in the course? Reply To: How should I schedule the reading and exercises in the course?

• Noa Kageyama

Administrator
    November 22, 2016 at 11:17 am

Regarding scheduling this into your summer, my recommendation would be to think of each lesson as a 2-week cycle, where you spend some time every day reading/listening and working some of the exercises into your practice routine, but where the 2-week period is geared towards a recorded performance where you test out the skills you’ve developed (either for yourself or where you invite a friend or colleague or two to increase the pressure a bit). Doesn’t have to be a full-length recital or anything like that – just a movement or two or 10 minutes of whatever you are working on but very much in performance mode.

Some lessons will be less involved than others, but this way there’s a natural ebb and flow to how much work you’re putting in. It means you probably won’t take up the full 15 weeks, but you’ll have 7 performance simulations over the course of the summer (8 if you include the baseline performance before taking the PSI).

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.