Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum Embarrassed… Reply To: Embarrassed…

• Noa Kageyama

Administrator
    November 22, 2016 at 10:12 am

A couple thoughts.

(1) I’ve known some very accomplished pianists with small hands, and it’s been my impression that they’ve been able to find ways to make do even in passages or repertoire that would be much easier with larger hands. So some it might be finding ways to be more creative and get away with more despite the seeming limitations?

(2) It sounds like you haven’t yet gotten things up to tempo, and achieved a comfort level with the repertoire where you have some margin for error. So it actually makes perfect sense that things would fall apart quite a bit when you are pushed even slightly beyond your comfort zone. You might experiment with prioritizing speed before accuracy on occasion – just on occasion. You may find that in order to play it at a faster tempo, the technique has to change quite a bit. Meaning, at 60bpm you are able to play it one way, but at 70bpm, you need to find a new tweak or radically adjustment of your technique in order for it to work. So if your technique is going to have to change at 70, it may not be as helpful to practice the 60bpm technique when you’re going to have to learn the 70bpm technique eventually.

Let me know how things go in the next couple weeks.

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.