Forum Search...

Login Forums Beyond Practicing Forum Do I just need to practice centering more? Reply To: Do I just need to practice centering more?

• Noa Kageyama

Administrator
    November 21, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Hi Peter,

Sounds like good progress with the centering! Interesting question about the mistakes. Can you tell me a bit more about the mind going blank part? Did this happen before the mistakes? Do you remember what was going through your mind before mistakes happened? I wonder if these were times during which you “spaced out” or weren’t as focused on what you were doing. Often, we aren’t quite sure what to focus on when we’re playing. We know that thinking about worst case scenarios or micromanaging our technique isn’t helpful, but it’s not so clear what ought to be going through our minds during performances.

I’d practice listening to yourself and your bandmates more intently. For instance, if you were to stop whatever you are doing now, and sit quietly for a few minutes, listening to all that is going on around you, you’ll quickly realize how much there is to hear – and how unaware you were of it until this moment. That level of listening, or focusing on the present moment, is key to ensuring that our brain knows what it’s supposed to do at each moment in time. Much like we are more likely to make a shot in basketball if we see the basket (than if we are shooting blind), our brain is more likely to rise to the occasion for us if we remain focused on our target – i.e. the exact sounds we wish to produce.

Centering will help, but work through the exercises in the focus lesson as well. And when that has become easier for you, it might be good to work through the resilience lesson as well, which will teach you how to get back on track quickly when the inevitable glitch does happen.

There's an LIVE component too! (for educators)

If you’d like to explore some of the most essential skills and techniques in the course live, with a cohort of curious, thoughtful, supportive, and like-minded educators (and a few mildly irreverent or benevolently sarcastic folks mixed in to make sure we don’t get too serious), that’s also an option!

Starting Thursday, February 3rd, we’ll meet via Zoom once a week, and go through selected strategies related to effective practice, managing nerves, and achieving flow states under pressure. We’ll do some in-class playing experiments (don’t worry – you’ll be muted!), short weekly homework assignments, and small-group breakout sessions to help you integrate these new skills into your teaching.

This 6-week live course is normally $199, but is available at 50% off the regular cost when bundled with Beyond Practicing. For more details about the live course (and dates) CLICK HERE.